Trimedyne

HOME

ABOUT US

PRODUCTS

EDUCATION & TRAINING

INVESTOR RELATIONS

EVENTS

 

Company History

Management Team

Press Releases

Contact Us

Careers


Laser Spine Therapy
Provider List


 

 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT: CRAIG SMITH

949.951.3800 EXT. 288
csmith@trimedyne.com
 

TRIMEDYNE LASER USED IN OUTPATIENT PROCEDURE TO TREAT ARTHRITIS IN SPINAL JOINTS

       October 11, 2004 – Irvine, CA: TRIMEDYNE, INC. (OTCBB “TMED”) today announced that a clinical study published in the Journal of Minimally Invasive Spinal Technology demonstrates the ability of Trimedyne’s Holmium Laser to treat osteoarthritis in lumbar (lower back) facet joints in the spine, a common cause of low back pain.

       Twenty patients with arthritis of the facet joint were treated on an outpatient basis by Sri Kantha, M.D., of the Metropolitan Neurology and Spine Institute, Fort Lee, NJ.   All of the patients were discharged the same day, with pain medication, muscle relaxants and no restrictions on physical activity.  Fifteen or 75% of the patients reported significant or partial relief of their lower back pain.  In the remaining five patients (25%), their back pain was the same as before the procedure.  Older patients did not respond as well as younger patients.

       According to Dr. Kantha, “At least one million people in the United States who suffer from lower back facet joint pain could be successfully treated with the new laser procedure, technically called Laser Lumbar Facet Rhizotomy.  The one-year results of Laser Lumbar Facet Rhizotomy reported in the above paper are superior to procedures using radio frequency (RF) energy, as the laser is more precise, and its pain-relieving effect lasts for years.”

       Trimedyne plans to submit this clinical study to the FDA, along with an application for clearance to market its Holmium Laser and disposable Laser Needles for this use.  These devices will not be available for sale for the treatment of arthritis in lumbar facet joints in the United States until and unless they are cleared for sale by the FDA for the treatment of this condition.

       Trimedyne manufactures lasers and proprietary fiber optic devices for a variety of minimally invasive surgical procedures, many of which are performed on an outpatient basis at substantially less cost than conventional surgery.  For product, financial and other information, visit Trimedyne's website, http://www.trimedyne.com.

 "Safe Harbor" Statement Under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act:

       Statements in this news release may contain forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the U.S. Securities Act of 1993 and Section 21E of the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934.  Such statements may involve various risks and uncertainties, some of which may be discussed in the Company's most recent report on Form 10-KSB and subsequently filed SEC reports.  There is no assurance any new products can be cleared for sale by the FDA or successfully commercialized or any forward-looking statements will prove accurate, as actual results and future events could differ materially from those presently anticipated.

*****

Back


Home | About Us | Products | Education & Training | Investor Relations | Events
  What's New | Careers | DoublePulse | Site Map | Contact Us

© Copyright 2004 Trimedyne, Inc.  All rights reserved.